The barber of my husband owns several homes. One of them is a property in Pennsylvania which he bought in 1975, mortgage has been paid up many years ago. Since he resides in New York, the house is being rented. It was just spruced up in November because the previous tenants vacated the place so he figured it was the perfect time to renovate the kitchen and re-paint the whole house. By end of November, his son who lives a few miles away from the home found a new tenant.
The unexpected happened when the house was gutted by fire on the day before Christmas. Based on investigation conducted by the authorities, the tenant related that at 3:30 in the morning on December 24 she started to cook. She heated oil in a pan to fry chicken and went to the living room. In a few minutes she claimed she smelled smoke and she went back to the kitchen and saw flames. There was nothing they could do to put out the fire. Everything went in flame and there was nothing they can save but themselves. Good thing no one died as everyone was able to escape the fire.
Anyone that hears about her story points to negligence. How can anyone leave a pan with oil. We all know what happens when oil gets over heated. And because of the newly renovated kitchen with newly stained cabinet and paint, that may have also made the flames spread faster.
My husband’s barber already collected from the insurance company, and he is not planning on re-building the house. Instead, he is planning on buying a property somewhere in Florida. The renters apparently had no renter’s insurance thus, they were not eligible to file a claim on their personal belongings.
Lessons of the story:
1. Never leave anything you are cooking on the stove unattended.
2. Always have the necessary protection in the form of insurance whether you own or rent a place.